Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Take...

Entry Level Pay Rates for Intervention Specialist

New York - $45,182
Houston - $41,138
Columbus - $33,433
Cincinnati - $30,465
Boston - $37,800
Phoenix - $36,000

I agree with you guys on many levels and don't on a lot more. It's definitely a matter of choice and personal preference but for me, there's a major lack of cultural diversity, a serious fear of change and seemingly want to stay stuck in the past. I think it would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to take what we've learned and give it to people that want it and need it just as much as anyone from Vinton, Jackson, Meigs, Athens, etc. and are willing to compensate us for it and give us the resources to actually do our jobs.

The biggest problem I have is when when you're a person who is a native of this area and you want to venture out it's almost like rather than be proud of someone from the area for making it out, they're often viewed as "sell-outs" or turning their back on the community, or even still people want to drop the old "you think you're better than everyone" phrase . It's like just because someone grows up here it doesn't mean they are suppose to carry the guilt and weight of an entire culture just because they've succeeded where others' have failed.

It's really a double edged sword, on the one hand there's the familiarity of the area and all that and on the other there's this overwhelming fear and seemingly endless want to blame everyone else for the problems of the region but ourselves. (government, corporations, etc.)

I totally dig you're guys' takes and opinions...it's just not my cup o'tea. Sure, these problems we face are not limited to this area, but I guess I sort of look at this in a sports analogy, once I graduate I'm a free agent, so whatever the best situation is professionally, financially, and culturally that's where I'm heading.

3 comments:

angiev said...

$21,268 net change in disposable income




Cost of Living at Home Typical Salary at Work

Current Location Cincinnati, OH (Edit) Cincinnati, OH (Edit)

New Location New York, NY (Edit) New York, NY (Edit)

Percent Change in $ +80.3% +19.5%

Explanation The cost of living in New York, NY is 80.3% higher than in Cincinnati, OH. Therefore, you would have to earn a salary of $63,089 to maintain your current standard of living. Employers in New York, NY typically pay 19.5% more than employers in Cincinnati, OH. Therefore, if you take the same type of job in the same type of company in New York, NY you are likely to earn $41,821.

I found this information in comparing the cost of living for the highest and lowest salary on your list. I believe that the salary in Cincinnati comes out in the positive.
You might want to reconsider the move.
Angie

CandiO said...

I can honestly say, it's not about the money for me. It's more about the difference I want to make in the lives of the children I will someday teach. I'd do it for nothing. I'm very lucky and I have an extremely supportive husband so it doesn't have to be about the money for me.

I agree 100% that there's a lack of cultural diversity in our area. However, I don't agree 100% (maybe more like 50%) that there is a fear of change. Sure there are those who do fear change, but aren't we proof that not 'all' of us fear it? I think it's unfair to assume that students here don't have a desire to learn.

I do understand that resources in our area are seriously lacking. And if we choose to stay here and teach in this area we will have to actively seek out resources for ourselves, our students, and their families.

As I said before, I'm not a native. And I would Vehemently disagree with anyone who would accuse someone of being a 'sell-out' for wanting to leave the area. I think everyone should venture out and see the world. It's critical for us to understand and embrace other cultures, after all we will be the teachers.

Like you said, it's a personal choice. I choose to stay here for now but, I will NOT judge anyone who decides to spread their wings and fly.

katyholsinger said...

Scott,
I agree with Candy by saying that there are issues that small towns face and definite shortcomings. I would never accuse you of selling out for wanting a different lifestyle or whatever. We all have different ideas, priorities, and goals. I think it is awesome that you are willing to do that; I don't have it in me to live in a big city. As for culture; yes we are lacking,but I can also take my daughter an hour or two away to visit museums and expose her to different groups and ideas very easily (and it is a fun road trip). I am sorry people have been narrowminded with you, but I do not believe that this is just a small town problem.