This is a book from another class; these quotes struck me:
p.321 "Most teachers are at a disadvantage because they do not live, or have never live in the community in which their students live."
p.324 "Teachers who believe their own culture is superior to the students' cultures will not be able to build trust."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Angie,
I really like these quotes and feel very passionate about these statements. I am not saying that you have to relate to your students personally, but it is helpful. I really want my students to succeed on a personal level, but am also aware of the responsiblity that I bear as a teacher to the community and the struggles and successes that the child feels within the community, as well.
These are very interesting quotes. However I do not believe a teacher is necessarily at a disadvantage for not living in the same community as their students. I think if a teacher can relate to their students first as human beings which all equal, learning will progress. A teacher should not have to accept a certain culture or community but embrace them and take advantage of all of the experiences they gain as an educator. Anyone who chooses this field has made a pledge to children, no matter where they are geograhically located.
I agree with everyone that it is not imperative to be from the area as an educator, but I would like to say that it helps to have experiences to relate to your students which does not have to be geographical or cultural. However, Dr. S may be able to help a student who feels that they are "stupid" or whatever for failing a class and may be considering failing b/c of his background personally and professionally. A student from the inner city that has lived through the struggles of gangs, etc. may be able to relate to students not better, but in a different way. I am not advocating this, I am playing Dr.S' devil's advocate and trying to see what this quote may have been trying to say.
Post a Comment