A film documentary that I feel should be viewed by all teachers-to-be:
"Children in America's Schools with Bill Moyers" is based on a book titled "Savage Inequalities" written by Jonathon Kozol, who is featured in the film.
This is a very moving portrayal of schools in low-income areas versus schools in the suburbs. It seems negative for our area, but if you place it in the context of what it has accomplished, you will see that it brought a necessary awareness for people outside the area to understand a situation and be movtivated to make a change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you about Bill Moyer's film. It is perhaps the most moving education film I have viewed. I should look for a copy and show it in class.
After viewing the film the question comes to mind.... 'now that we know this about children and schools what are we to do with the information?'
Surely, pointing a finger and saying what is politically correct, from whatever position you take is not the answer. It must be about how we can bring our collective insights together and bring forward a solution that we had not thought of before.
Post a Comment