Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Special Needs in Appalachia

I am inviting your suggestions and comments on this topic. At the bottom of the page, I have provided you with just one view from a friend, neighbor, a parent of a child with special needs, and also an employee of the school. I believe that her comment encircles the strong family and community ties in Vinton County and the Appalachian region. Does this happen in places like Columbus or is this just a quality of the small community?

1 comment:

Dr. S. said...

Knowing a little about both Vinton County and Central Ohio I would offer the possibility that the connections seem greater in Vinton County. Is that because the pool of people to connect to is smaller and thus one does not feel lost in the community?

In Central Ohio if a parent were to connect with a support group, neighborhood community etc. the support would probably be there as well.

To access the needed support the willingness to reach out is essential just as the willingness to see what you can do for those around is.